Tuesday 21 January 2014

The blog begins...

OK - first blog post, so here goes.

I've created this blog to post regular updates on my training and fundraising for the London Marathon in April - so expect to see plenty of talk about mileage, pacing, parkrun, long runs, running gear, my mental state, fear of injuries etc etc - plus appeals for more sponsorship

But first things first - some background

1. Why am I running a marathon?
       
I started running more seriously about 5 years, and progressed to 5k, 10k and half-marathon fairly quickly. I always said though that 13.1 miles was my limit, as I felt that my body wouldn't manage any further. However I started to come round to the idea after the Wokingham half-marathon last year where I smashed my PB, felt very comfortable through the race and felt no aches and pains afterwards. Suddenly I realised that maybe I could do the full 26.2......and my wife encouraged may saying, correctly, "you'll always want to scratch that itch"


2. Who am I raising money for?

I need to raise a minimum of £2,000 for Missing People - https://www.missingpeople.org.uk/ - I'll do a blog post later on why they're a worthy charity :)

3. How do I donate?

Go here - http://www.justgiving.com/Rory-Murphy1

4. Any interesting fundraising ideas?

Well - I'm doing a Sponsored Silence in a few weeks. 8am Friday 14th until 10am Sunday 16th. 50 hrs of silence. £25 buys an hour of silence...and if you know me, that's some sacrifice! More detailed info to follow

5. Started training yet?

I started my marathon focussed program 2 weeks ago, and so far I have logged a total of 43 miles.....20 in the first week and 23 in the second. My runs are a mixture of interval runs, a marathon paced run, parkruns and a long slow (slower than marathon pace) run on the Sunday ideally. Again...lots more info to come on this.

OK - that's enough for a first post. I'll keep all my supporters (assuming I get some) updated on here but also on Facebook and twitter (@bogotabandit2)

No comments:

Post a Comment